About Chadkirk Chapel and Country Estate
3. The chapel and St Chad
Admire the beautifully restored 18th Century chapel set in the heart of Chadkirk Country Estate and Local Nature Reserve. Relax and cherish the peace and tranquillity of the chapel and surroundings.
Learn about the history of this fantastic chapel and its association through legend with the 7th century missionary St Chad.
The chapel’s quiet beauty was enhanced in 1995 by extensive restoration. This included the installation of a specially commissioned life-size statue of St Chad near the altar. It also included the colourful carved wooden panels depicting scenes from the life of the Saint.
The name Chadkirk means the ‘Church of Chad’. It may even be the ‘Cedde’ mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086.