About Bramall Hall
Last updated 15 November 2023
2. The park
Bramhall Park was created as we know it today by Sir Charles Nevill during the late 1890’s. Neville fashioned a new landscape out of his estate. It reflected the garden fashions of the period (created around Capability Brown's design).
Rhododendrons and specimen trees were planted around a complicated arrangement of man-made islands in three large man-made ponds. This was in an attempt to recreate a Himalayan wilderness. This was the inspiration for many Victorian plant collectors. Neville actually diverted the River Ladybrook in order to create his landscape. The new course of the river was lined with stone setts and are still visible in places.
Attractive formal garden areas are found close to the Hall and areas of ancient woodland give this park its character.
Neville also made additions and changes to the architecture of the magnificent black and white timber-framed Tudor manor house. The manor house sits in its elevated position at the centre of the park.