Abney Hall Park

Abney Hall, built in 1847, is the focal point of the park. Its grand structure and landscaped gardens tell of the wealth of the first owner, a former Mayor of Stockport and cotton magnate.

The walled garden hides an ingenious but extravagant invention which kept the orchard and vegetable garden warm and healthy throughout the year.

The walls contain cavities and during the heyday of the hall, warm air was blown from a furnace in the cellar, through the cavities and out of a gothic style ventilation shaft.

The site of the park was formerly part of the Mersey flood plain. Much of the land is still very damp, forming wet meadows.

Wetlands are becoming increasingly rare as land is drained for development, destroying the rare plants that rely on the damp soils.

Abney Park is one of the few sites in Stockport where you will see such plants in abundance. During the summer, the wetlands are awash with the colour of early purple and common spotted orchids, yellow meadow buttercups and the pink of the cuckoo flower.

Abney Garden Teas
Abney Garden Teas is a dog friendly cafe operating from the pavilion building  and is open everyday but Monday,  from 9:30 until 4:00 pm

Bioticfit Outdoor Fitness
Bioticfit Outdoor Fitness is an Outdoor Fitness and Health club located in Abney Hall Park in Cheadle, Stockport.

Bioticfit runs fitness training classes as well a boot camp style fitness for all abilities and members of the community across Stockport, Cheshire and South Manchester whatever your fitness level.

For more information visit www.bioticfit.com

Facilities & features

  • Walking
  • Woodland areas
  • Car Parks
  • Picnic areas
  • Football pitches
  • Ponds
  • Conservation area
  • Historic hall
  • Streams & waterfall
  • Pet cemetery
  • Scout & Guide campsite
  • Toilets
  • Cafe 

History

The Hall is built on the original site of 'Cheadle Grove Print Works', which was built in 1760 and later burnt to the ground in 1847.

A former Stockport mayor, Alfred Orell, built his home here in 1847 and named it 'The Grove' (after the print works). Alfred died in 1847 and the hall was bought by Sir James Watts who extended it to its present size, and renamed it Abney Hall.

Built as a private home, the hall has reception rooms dating from the 1850s designed and decorated by A.N.N. Pugin and J.G. Crace. These were the most fashionable interior designers of the time and worked on the Houses of Parliament and other aristocratic residences throughout the British Empire.

By 1857 Abney Hall was ready to accommodate Prince Albert during a two-day visit to Manchester, and was described as 'one of the most princely mansions in the neighbourhood'.

Many famous people have stayed at Abney including King Edward VII, Disraeli, EM Forster and Prime Minister Gladstone. Agatha Christie often stayed and penned two novels here, 'The tale of the Christmas pudding' and 'After the Funeral'. Home to Agatha's brother-in-law James Watts, Abney created a secret hide-away for the publicity-shy author.

In 1959 the hall was sold to Cheadle Council for £14,000 and became Cheadle Town Hall. Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council took it over in 1974 and moved the historical pieces from within the hall to museums.

The grounds of Abney Hall are at present only 1/10 of their original size. The hall is now used as offices and the grounds are looked after for the benefit of both visitors and wildlife.

Limited Mobility Access

  • There are 2 car parks - the one near the scout hut has a disabled parking bay.
  • Most of the park can be accessed via fairly level tarmac paths. Other areas of the park have gravel paths with some steps and slopes.
  • There are benches near the pond and a few around the park.
  • There are no toilets in the park.
  • Assistance dogs are welcome in the park.

Location and Directions

Abney Hall Park
Manchester Road
Cheadle
Stockport
SK8 2PD

Parking: Two free car parks within the park

Train: Gatley Railway Station - 1500 metres, East Didsbury Railway Station  - 1500 metres

Bus: Buses 11, 309, 310, 311, 312 and 371 run near the park from Stockport.