Permitted Development

If you live in a house, you can make certain types of minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission.

These are called "permitted development rights", however, other works and alterations may require planning permission. Please note that irrespective of whether planning permission is required, approval under building regulations may be required as they are two separate matters.

Permitted Development from May 2013

From 30 May 2013, a number of changes to the planning system come into force. Full details can be viewed here:

Changes to permitted development in respect of single storey rear extensions:

Larger Home Extensions - Neighbour Consultation Scheme (PDF file on Planning Portal website)

Do you need permission for your extension? (Planning Portal website)

It should be noted that the changes do not apply to listed buildings, buildings within Conservation Areas, where permitted development rights have been removed or where the proposal does not comply with any other element of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (as amended).

The change will be in force for a period of 3 years and requires work to be completed on or before 30th May 2016.

The change does not remove the need to accord with other legislation, therefore you are advised to contact the Council’s Building Control Service to establish whether consent will be required under the building regulations.

In addition, your attention is drawn to the Party Wall Act 1996 - more information here:

Do I need planning permission?

The Government published new legislation in respect of the types of development that a householder can carry out without planning permission, which came into force on 1st October 2008.  The Government has produced easy to use interactive guides to the new changes on the Planning Portal website. You can explore an interactive semi-detached house for advice on common householder projects, and an interactive terrace for advice on terraced houses, flats, shops and basements.

The Planning Portal provides comprehensive information for householders, and you can check a list of common building projects to see if the works you are considering will need permission.

Please note, if you live in a Conservation Area controls are more restrictive and in many cases selective permitted development rights have been withdrawn. Outside of Conservation Areas, permitted development rights may also have been withdrawn when planning permission was originally granted to build your house (particularly so on new build housing). 

You may be able to find this out by referring to the property deeds but if in doubt please contact the Planning Searches team on 0161 474 3875.

Can I get the Council to confirm I don’t need planning permission?

Yes, once you are satisfied that you may be able to carry out ‘permitted development’ and you would like the Council to confirm this you should apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for the Proposed Works (£86). This form can be downloaded from our Planning Applications Forms page (form number 015). This form will need to be accompanied by a 1:1250 location plan, a 1:200 site plan and existing and proposed floor plans and elevations (1:100/1:50).