Do I Need Planning Permission?

Find out about permitted development and if you need to apply for planning permission.

Permitted Development from May 2013

From 30 May 2013, a number of changes to the planning system come into force. Full details can be viewed here:

Changes to permitted development in respect of single storey rear extensions:

It should be noted that the changes do not apply to listed buildings, buildings within Conservation Areas, where permitted development rights have been removed or where the proposal does not comply with any other element of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (as amended).

The change will be in force for a period of 3 years and requires work to be completed on or before 30th May 2016.

The change does not remove the need to accord with other legislation, therefore you are advised to contact the Council’s Building Control Service to establish whether consent will be required under the building regulations.

In addition, your attention is drawn to the Party Wall Act 1996 - more information here:


Rights to extend or alter your house can, and often are, withdrawn by the local planning authority.

This is particularly common within Conservation Areas (in order to prevent excessive and badly designed developments) and on modern estates (where even modest extensions may have the potential to unreasonably affect neighbouring occupiers).

If you believe that planning permission is not required for your proposal it would be worthwhile checking with a planning officer whether permitted rights have been withdrawn and an application is necessary.

If you require written confirmation that permission is not required for any particular development, you may apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development - see below.

Planning Portal

The Portal is a government website that provides advice on when an application for planning permission is required and what is 'Permitted Development'. A visual guide for householders can also be viewed on the Planning Portal. There is also a visual guide for householders in terrace houses.

You can also use the Portal to submit a planning application on-line or appeal against a planning decision.

Lawful Development Certificates  

The system of Lawful Development Certificates enables Local Planning Authorities when the appropriate conditions are satisfied in each case to grant a certificate, saying that:

  1. An existing use of land, or some operational development, or some activity in breach of a planning condition is lawful; or
  2. A proposed use of buildings or other land, or some operations proposed to be carried out in, on, over or under land would be lawful.

The government has produced a User’s Guide to Lawful Development Certificates on the website. Applications should be in writing using the appropriate forms and providing factual evidence to support the claim. It is recommended that discussions are carried out with the relevant Planning Case Officer before an application is submitted.

Vehicular Drop Crossings

Vehicular drop crossings require Planning Permission if the access is onto a classified road. This could be an A, B or C classification road. In order to determine if a road is classified please read the list of Stockport Classified Roads (96kb PDF file). Alternatively, contact the Planning Services Highways Section on 0161 474 4905. See the contact information below.

If the road is unclassified then Planning Permission is not needed for the access but the consent of the Highway Authority is still required before it is installed. To obtain this it is necessary to contact Streetscene on 0161 217 6111.

Request a dropped kerb or vehicle crossing.

External Wall Insulation Planning Requirements

The ten Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) within Greater Manchester want to work with Registered Providers, landlords and others carrying out improvements and external insulation works to ensure that they are carried out quickly and where possible without the need for planning permission.

This note (57kb PDF file) is intended to guide whether Local Planning Authorities should require planning permission for installation of External Wall Insulation (EWI).