Cookies on the
Stockport Council Website

We use cookies on our website to help make your experience better. To find out more about the cookies we use, please read our Cookies Privacy Notice. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings, you consent to the use of the cookies on our website. Our Cookies Privacy Notice provides information on how you can reject or delete cookies via your browser settings.
I Accept Cookies From This Website
You Are Here : Skip Navigation LinksHome | Council Services | Council and Democracy | Elections | Register to Vote | Electoral Register

Electoral Register

The Full and Open registers

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The Electoral Register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.

It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications.

The register is up-dated on the 1st of every month from January to September. 

The full register is available for inspection at the Elections Office, Stockport Town Hall, and at the Stockport Central Library. Branch libraries have the electoral register for the ward(s) that they cover.

The Open Register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

The open register is updated on the 1st of every month from January to September.

If you are on the open register but you would like to opt out of this version of the register please email

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used in the attached document or at the Gov Register to Vote web pages.

Making Changes to the Electoral Register

Before we can make changes to the electoral register, we need proof of any name change which can comprise either:

  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate;
  • Overseas Marriage Certificate or Civil Partnership Certificate; or
  • Deed Poll.

Please complete and return the Electoral Register - Change of Name Form (Word Doc 316Kb), together with proof of change of name. Evidence provided should be copies and not actual documents.

Alternatively, you can bring the completed Change of Name Form and the proof to the Electoral Registration Office, Stockport Town Hall Wellington Road South, Stockport SK1 3XE.

Our office opening times are 9am - 5pm Monday - Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm on Fridays.

Listen with Browsealoud

Follow Us On...

Facebook  Twitter  You Tube  RSS Feeds

Your Recent History

You have no recent pages

After viewing articles, jobs or search results, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Your Recent Searches

You have no recent searches