We’re building a new website

We'd like you to try our new Births, Marriages, Deaths and Citizenship web pages where you can see what's changed and give us feedback.

You can continue using the existing site while the new website is being developed.

Try our new site

Stockport Register Office

Stockport Register Office is responsible for the registration of births, marriages and deaths. We also conduct civil marriage ceremonies, including civil partnerships.

The Register Office is open on Monday to Friday - between 8:30 and 16:30 - and on a Saturday morning by appointment only.

It is located within Stockport Town Hall and is fully accessible for people with disabilities.

Registering a building as a place of worship and to perform marriages

For a building to be certified as a place of Worship, you need to apply to the Superintendent Registrar in the district where the building is situated.

You will be sent two copies of the appropriate form, which should be completed and returned to the Superintendent Registrar with:

  • A floor plan of the building - this does not need to be professionally drawn or to scale, but must show all the rooms, doorways, floors and staircases.
  • An average weekly timetable of religious and other activities that take place in the building - this must also include any activities not run by the congregation. The Registrar General must be satisfied that the Building is primarily used for religious worship.

Please ask the Superintendent Registrar for details of the fee charged.

For a building to be registered for the solemnisation of marriages, it must also be registered as a place of worship - if the building is not already certified the two applications can be made at the same time.

The appropriate form - number 78 - can be obtained from the Superintendent Registrar at your local register office. These must be signed by twenty householders who regard the building as their usual place of worship.

A householder is any person who resides at an address and has either sole or joint responsibility for that household. The forms must also be countersigned by a trustee, or proprietor of, the actual building.

These forms should be returned to the superintendent registrar with the fee - please ask the superintendent registrar for details of the fee.

If a building is not going to be used as a place of Worship and/or a place to perform marriages please contact the Register Office.