Willow Grove Cemetery,
Willow Grove is one of Stockport ’s oldest cemeteries and was opened in 1877 as a privately owned business. Eventually the cemetery fell into disrepair and was eventually bought by the Council.
Following a major headstone safety testing programme in 2003 more than 1,600 headstones had to be laid down to prevent them presenting a health and safety hazard. Since then the Council has worked closely with FOSC to agree and deliver an improvement programme.
Bereavement Services has completed the reinstatement of more than 200 headstones and a rolling programme of work is in place to eventually complete the reinstatement of all laid-down memorials. Other improvements include new perimeter fences, the reduction of overgrown trees and shrubs to improve sight lines through the cemetery to increase the feeling of light, space and personal safety, and improvements in grounds maintenance in the most recent burial sections.
In addition external funding obtained by FOSC has enabled us to work together to install new gates and many habitat improvements for the benefit of wildlife including two wet scrape areas and the planting of large areas of wildflowers, grasses and flowering bulbs. We have also installed new benches and bins and planted ornamental trees to improve the area around the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Screen Wall of Remembrance.
Proposed future improvements include the installation of new signage and interpretation boards and the laying of rolled stone paths throughout the cemetery, in partnership with FOSC.
There are no new graves available at Willow GroveCemetery but we are pleased that we are now able to offer a woodland facility for the scattering of ashes.
Please note there are no public toilet facilities available in this cemetery.
The cemetery grounds are open every day including Bank Holidays until dusk.
For a copy of the rules relating to plot holders, see Related Documents.