Deaths must be registered within five days, in the district where the death occurred, by one of the following:
- A relative of the deceased.
- Someone present at the time of death.
- A person arranging the funeral (not the undertaker).
In certain circumstances, another person can register a death, please contact the Stockport Register Office for further information.
To help provide the best service we strongly recommend customers telephone and book an appointment.
- When attending to register you will be asked questions regarding names, dates, addresses
and places which will feed into the register entry.
- To help ensure the accuracy of the information recorded it would be useful if you could bring
supporting documentation with you (e.g. passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth and
- Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to
register the death.
Opening hours: 8.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Please note we are closed on the morning of the first Wednesday of the month.