Cookies on the
Stockport Council Website

We use cookies on our website to help make your experience better. To find out more about the cookies we use, please read our Cookies Privacy Notice. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings, you consent to the use of the cookies on our website. Our Cookies Privacy Notice provides information on how you can reject or delete cookies via your browser settings.
I Accept Cookies From This Website
You Are Here : Skip Navigation LinksHome | Council Services | Advice, Benefits & Grants | Advice & Information | Stockport Local Assistance Scheme

Stockport Local Assistance Scheme

Changes contained in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 mean that Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans (for Living Expenses and Items) will not exist after 31 March 2013 and responsibility for Local Welfare Provision will be transferred to Local Authorities. From 2 April 2013, in Stockport, the new arrangements will be called the Stockport Local Assistance Scheme (SLAS).

The aim will be to:

  • provide a safety net in an emergency, when there is an immediate threat to health or safety; and
  • to help people to settle into new accommodation after for example, a stay in hospital or temporary accommodation;
  • to help support people to continue to live independently when they are facing difficulties.

To be eligible for support from the SLAS applicants need to undergo a four stage application process that determines:

  • their age, household type and benefit/income status;
  • whether or not they have a local Stockport connection, or if one is needed;
  • their qualifying circumstances or need for immediate assistance;
  • the priority of their need and whether there is sufficient money in the budget or not.

Please note that this scheme is not a replacement for crisis loans or community care grants. We do not offer cash.

Other ways to get support

Have you made a claim for benefits and not been paid yet?

If so, please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0845 608 8526. They will consider you for a Short Term Benefit Advance. Our scheme does not cover this.  

Have your benefits been stopped because of a sanction?

If so, you may be eligible for a hardship payment. Please contact your local Jobcentre Plus to discuss this. Our scheme does not cover this.  

Have you been getting one of the following benefits for 26 weeks or more?

  • Income support;
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Pension Credit.

 If so, you may be able to apply for a budgeting loan. To do this you need to complete a claim form SF500 which are available at your local Job Centre Plus or on the Job Centre Plus website   
A budgeting loan can pay for:

  • Rent;
  • Furniture or household equipment;
  • Clothing or footwear;
  • Removal expenses when you move home;
  • Travelling expenses;
  • Things to help you look for or start work;
  • Improving, maintaining or securing your home;
  • Maternity or funeral expenses;
  • Repaying hire purchase or other debts you took out to pay for any of the above.

Stockport Local Assistance Scheme (SLAS)

If after considering these other ways of getting support, you still want to apply for support from the Stockport Local Assistance Scheme then please use the SLAS Online Application Form.

For further information about the scheme, including whether you are likely to be eligible or not, please see 'Related Documents' on the right of this page.


Listen with Browsealoud

Follow Us On...

Facebook  Twitter  You Tube  RSS Feeds

Your Recent History

You have no recent pages

After viewing articles, jobs or search results, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Your Recent Searches

You have no recent searches