11 Sep 2012
Stockport's extraordinary people are to be recognised in the borough's popular citizen awards.
The 6th annual Proud of Stockport awards will see individuals, groups or teams that go out of their way to make the borough a better place, recognised at a ceremony at Stockport Town Hall.
The Council, its partners, and award sponsors are asking people for their suggestions as to who should be honoured with a Proud of Stockport award.
Do you know someone who helps to make Stockport special? Is there an individual, a group, a volunteer, or perhaps a local personality, or someone else who deserves recognition for good and community spirit?
The list of award categories are:
- Ambassador for Stockport - Rewarding someone who has helped put Stockport on the map.
- Our Place - Rewarding the people who make their street, area, village or district centre a better place to live.
- Champion for Young People - Rewarding a person or group of people who influence children's day to day lives in a positive way.
- Community Champion – Rewarding a person who goes out of their way to help their local community. It could be for organising a big community clean-up or helping others in their local area.
- Community-spirited Organisation - Rewarding a local organisation that puts a lot back into the community, be it through fundraising, caring services or staff initiatives.
- Sports Personality - Rewarding those involved in sport in Stockport.
- Volunteering Champion - Rewarding individuals or groups of people who make a real difference to Stockport, such as resident associations and community groups.
- Young Citizen of the Year - Rewarding young people aged 18 and under who help their community in lots of different ways.
To enter go to www.stockport.gov.uk/proudofstockport
(free internet access at all Stockport libraries) and send in nominations online.
Or fill in a nomination form – available at the Town Hall reception - and post it FREEPOST to: Business Reply Service Licence No SK255, Proud of Stockport Awards, Room 206, Stockport Town Hall, Stockport Council, FREEPOST, Stockport, SK1 3YQ.
The final date for nominations is Friday 26 October. Winners will be celebrated at an awards event in February 2013.
Councillor Sue Derbyshire, Leader of Stockport Council, said: “The Proud of Stockport awards give people the opportunity to nominate their local heroes. We want to hear about extraordinary individuals and groups that help make our borough a fantastic place to live and work. Stockport is home to some remarkable people. So if you know someone or an organisation that goes the extra mile, then please send in a nomination.”
For more information on the 'Proud of Stockport' awards, call the Awards hotline on 0161 474 3074 or log on to www.stockport.gov.uk/proudofstockport
For full terms and conditions visit www.stockport.gov.uk/proudofstockport