19 Jun 2012
Stockport Council is working in partnership with the National Market Traders Federation (NMTF) to celebrate National Market Day on Saturday 23rd June.
Stockport Market Hall
A series of events and specialist markets have been organised to mark National Market Day in Stockport.
Stockport’s historic market dates back to the 13th Century and includes two indoor halls, the distinctive covered Market hall, the Produce Hall and an outdoor street market.
As Stockport was one of the successful Portas Pilot towns, the Council is also trialling schemes to offer rent incentives for new traders, which encourage them to become a repeat trader on the market.
Councillor Iain Roberts, Stockport Council’s Executive Member for Economic Development and Regeneration, said: “Stockport Market has a long and proud history dating back over 750 years. The Council is committed to increasing footfall in the market and town centre. Themed monthly markets have proved very popular and attracted visitors from all over the region.
“The Council is delighted to be working with the NMTF to organise events to celebrate National Market Day in Stockport. I would encourage people to come along to Stockport Market and enjoy a great day out.”
John O’Mara, the Branch President of Stockport National Market Traders Federation, said: “The Portas Review acknowledged the important role that markets have to play in improving Town Centres. National Market Day will show how the market is fully involved in initiatives to improve Stockport town centre arising from the successful Portas pilot bid.”
Below is a list of some of the events taking place to celebrate National Market Day in Stockport:
- A specialist food and craft market.
- Participating traders will be offering special discounts in exchange for the ‘Stockport Market Pound’ which will be widely distributed in advance of National Market Day and aims to attract new shoppers to the market.
- Additional traders have been encouraged to come to Stockport Market for a reduced rent on National Market Day. The Council and NMTF are actively encouraging new traders to trade regularly over the summer and will offer a £10 a stall deal for new traders on all market days throughout July, August and September.
- The successful Vintage Village monthly market will be having a special presence on National Market Day to showcase their offer and promote their monthly event to a wider audience.
- Screen Stockport will be holding a mini Teen Market which will showcase a range of young entrepreneurs and creative. This will act as a promotional ‘taster’ for the next Teen Market event, due to take place on 29th July.
For more information about Stockport Market, future events at the market and National Market Day events in Stockport call the Market Office on 0161 480 7659.